Powers of attorney

If your relative is suffering from the more advanced stages of Alzheimer’s or another form of dementia they may not have sufficient mental capacity to understand that by signing  a power of attorney they are authorising you to look after their financial and property affairs.  If you need legal authority to deal with their affairs in this situation you will have to apply to the Court of Protection to be appointed as your relative’s Deputy.

The application to the Court is usually dealt with as a paper application and it is rarely necessary for you to attend court. You will need to obtain a medical certificate from your relative’s doctor before you can make the application. We can prepare all the forms for you, submit the application to the Court and deal with the administration that is needed after you have been appointed Deputy.

In cases where a Deputy is needed but there is nobody in the family who is able to take on the role, we can apply for one of our solicitors to be appointed as Deputy.  If we are appointed as Deputy, there will be annual administration costs which we will have to charge for.

For further information and advice please contact our City Centre office.